Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dishwasher detergent

This one is next because people have been asking about this a lot lately.

We didnt have a dishwasher until we moved here.  So I was super excited to get a new one shortly after we moved it (because the one that was here was 30+ years old and basically just gave everything a hot rinse).    I was not excited when I would pour a glass of water into a fresh-out-of-the-dishwasher glass and it would suds up.  Just a little bit, but still.  Nothing says 'refreshing' like knowing you are drinking soap. Blech.
So I asked around.  And I do not have a link for this because a friend gave me ideas.


 I usually make up about 4 cups at a time- because that's the most (and still mixable) amount my little container holds.  Which, by the way, is labeled with a permanent marker straight onto it. I do not have time or care at all about fancy printed labels for something that is going to live under my kitchen sink.  (No offense to my label-maker happy friends out there.)  Anyways.  "Dishwasher Detergent" it says on the lid and I think the side.  It's a little faded, but you can still read it- in real life, not this picture.

So. 2 cups of Borax. 2 cups of Baking soda. a layer of salt. Shake shake shake.

I saw something about using Washing Soda instead of baking soda.  I tried it and I dont think it did as well.  Sometimes I make it halfsies with the baking soda.  Like 2 cups of Borax, 1 cup Washing soda, 1 cup baking soda.  But let's face it, the less ingredients, the better!  Especially when I'm out and I just pour them directly into the dishwasher thing.
My little old Tupperware midget is a perfect size for measuring. 

Rinse Aid:  I was putting straight vinegar into the Rinse Aid compartment.  But then I read a bunch of things about it messing with rubber parts inside the dishwasher when it sits there for a while (because each load uses so little that it does just sit in there).  So I've just been putting a cup with some in it toward the back of the top rack.  It doesnt really help dry as much.  But it does help get rid of more germs.  Which is the part I like!


And now... No chemical residue on our dishes!  No suds in my drinking water!  And I am happy. 
Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment