Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cleaning 101

First.  I won! Second place, but still the same prize.  I am stoked about my new slippers and will definitely be posting a picture when I get them. 

Second.  Let's do this. 

First requested was for a post on my homemade cleans.  Aaaaanddd guess what.  Recently has been a time of making more of a bunch of them.  How convenient!


What's this?  Just baking soda and vinegar?  Yes. So simple!  something needs to be scrubbed?  Baking soda!  Wiped down? Vinegar!  The spray bottle is for convenience. 

The baking soda:  I put in a (cleaned out) Parmesan  cheese container so it's easier to sprinkle/pour.  I do not use this kind for cooking.  The giant bag is for cleaning... everything :)


Things about vinegar that I love:
1. It kills germs.
2. It doesnt stink once it's dry. (I hate the chemically smell of everything when I was done cleaning when I used them.
3.  It doesnt irritate anyone's lungs.
4. Kid safe!

Sometimes I dilute, sometimes I dont.  Just depends on my mood I suppose.  It cleans everything, too!  Windows, mirrors, other glass. (I think it works better than "streak free" Windex! Especially straight.) The sink, counters, tables, anything that needs to be rid of germs.

A little twist on this:

Need a link?  Pick one from here
So Jesse doesnt love the smell of vinegar.  So I thought I would work on that.  And Pinterest gave me some ideas.   Citrus has cleaning powers, too, ya know.  And if things need to *smell* clean, citrus is the way to go, especially instead of bleach or ammonia or whatever else.

So the sites I saw said to let it sit for a week or ten days. Around there.  OR you could forget to do that part and actually finish it after 3 weeks.  Oops.  But it still works.  And it smells good.  And I need to get more oranges to I can just keep this going all the time I think. The spray bottle had a couple ounces of vinegar left in the bottom and I left it there.  I strained the little pieces out of the mix and voila! Better smelling cleaner.  It's not a pretty color, but that's okay.  And I used a little before I added a bit of water.  There is no measuring in this one.  It's abotu 3/4 gone right now, so I'll just have to fill 'er back up with the straight stuff until I can get this going again.  But this one is definitely a keeper. 
Oh!  It's not quite as fantastic on glass.  Maybe the oils from the peels?  But I did use it and then just straight water and my mirrors are clear. 

So there you have it!  The real basics of chemical-free cleaning. 
And why do I do this?  Because it's cheaper than buying chemicals to clean everything.  And I really prefer kid-friendly.  (so it's safe for them to be around what was cleaned and they can do it, too!)  And for health purposes.  My boys have asthma issues.  And Alex's were terrible when he was little.  And I didnt even know this when I started, but I noticed *on my own* that his symptoms greatly improved when I stopped using chemicals.  I'd been chemical-free for a few years before I found anything to back me up (ok- I didnt look, I just happened to see an article somewhere and then had to share it for all the people who thought I was nuts).  This is not the article, but I figured if I claimed something, especially medically related, I should have something.  His asthma is not 100% better.  Especially now with living in a super drafty old house.  And neither is Tristan's.  But I dont want to know how bad his would be if I used "real" cleaning products. 


Stay tuned for dishwasher detergent!

No comments:

Post a Comment